Sprinkled with toasted sweetened coconut flakes
not only to garnish the cake,
but also for added flavor as well as texture.
You can also sprinkle some toasted sliced almonds on top.
The raisins and nuts are tossed in a tablespoon of flour
before adding them into the batter.
Back home, back in the days when the word "recycling" wasn't a popular word and the term "going green" was unheard of, I used to use the brown paper sacks used by the bakeries which we called "supot ng tinapay". Back then bakeries made their own paper bags and I used those papers to line loaf pans and other baking pans, why not?
(soak raisins in pineapple or orange juice for about 10 min.,
then drain on paper towels)
1) In a mixing bowl, cream together oil and sugar until light and fluffy.
2) Beat in the eggs and vanilla until well mixed.
3) Stir in the pineapple.
1-1/2 tsp. baking powder*
1/2 tsp. ground cloves
4) Using a wire whisk, whisk all of the dry ingredients together then stir into the wet mixture until all ingredients are incorporated.
5) Fold in grated carrots, raisins and nuts.
6) Evenly divide the batter between the 2 prepared pans.
7) Bake in a pre-heated 350 degrees oven for 25-30 minutes or until a tooth pick inserted in the center of cake comes out clean. Do not over bake as the cake will be dry and crumbly.
8) Remove from oven and let cool on a wire rack for about 20 minutes before removing cakes from pans.
9) When completely cooled, frost cakes with the Orange Cream Cheese Frosting.
Orange Cream Cheese Frosting
1 stick butter, room temperature
1-8oz. cream cheese, room temp.
4 cups powdered sugar
3 tbsp warm orange juice
1 tbsp. orange zest
Notes from MaMely:
1) The measurements above is just for your guideline. I haven't really used a consistent measurement for frosting as I always eyeball the ingredients and use the "feel method"...if too thick add more juice, if runny, add more powdered sugar.
2) You can use this recipe to make muffins or cup cakes.
3) You can also use one rectangular pan instead of round ones.
4) Toasting the Nuts:
Spread the nuts (pecans or walnuts) on a baking sheet and bake in a 350 degrees pre heated oven until they become fragrant, about 8-10 minutes. Let cool, then roughly chop.