Wednesday, October 22, 2008

#24_ Caramel Popcorn Snack Mix


WARNING: Eat at your own risk. This is an addiction-forming snack!!

I didn't use to like pretzels, either the soft kind or the hard kind, until my husband's cousin, Ione, served this snack at a get-together. I tried it and I was hooked to it! Believe me, you can't stop at just a handful! I'm glad she was kind enough to share with me the recipe.

Dry Mixture:
6 cups popcorn
6 cups Rice Chex cereal
2 cups mini pretzels
1 cup or more pecans

Caramel:
1 cup brown sugar
1 stick (1/2 cup) butter
1/4 cup corn syrup
1 tsp vanilla extract
1/2 tsp baking soda

Directions:
1. Line a large baking pan with aluminum foil and spray with cooking Spray.
2. Spread all of the MIX on the foil. Set aside and make the caramel sauce

To make the Caramel sauce:
In a saucepan, add brown sugar, butter, corn syrup. Then bring the mixture to a boil over medium heat. After it boils, continue cooking for 5 minutes, stirring constantly and maintaining the boil. Remove from heat and stir in the vanilla and baking soda. Pour over the dry mixture and bake in a pre-heated 300 degrees oven for 15 minutes. Take it out of the oven and stir. Return to oven and continue to bake for another 15 minutes. Transfer to a piece of parchment paper to dry. When dry and cooled, pour into a bowl and break them up.

ENJOY!!

No comments:

Post a Comment