Friday, September 23, 2011

#320_Chicken & Squash in Tomato Sauce

Chicken with Squash

I learned to make this dish from my daughter-in-law from Texas
who is a half Mexican and half Spanish (as in Spanish from Spain).

Having a tomato base similar to Afritada,
this dish has a real Spanish influence.

Ingredients:
2-chicken breast, rinsed and cup up into chunks
(or whole chicken, cut up)
1-medium Acorn Squash (or any kind of squash), cubed
1-med onion
3-very ripe tomatoes, chopped
(can use canned tomatoes)
3-cloves garlic, minced
canola oil for sauteing
2 - 8 oz cans tomato sauce
1 cup water or broth
2-Jalapeno pepper
Salt/Pepper to taste

This is another dish that I make without measuring the ingredients.
So the ingredients above are just for your guideline.

Saute garlic, onions and tomatoes in canola oil. Add in the chicken and saute really well until they render their own fat. Season with salt. Stir in the squash, tomato sauce and the jalapeno pepper. Put lid on and simmer for about 15 minutes then add water or broth; continue to simmer until the chicken is tender. I like to mash some of the squash during the process as it makes the sauce a little thick. Add some more liquid (broth or water) when necessary, otherwise, its done!!

ENJOY!!!

Note from MaMely:
My daughter-in-law usually makes this dish with just chicken breasts, but I prefer dark meat over the breasts so I make this with cut up whole chicken then I just use the dark meat and freeze the breasts.

No comments:

Post a Comment