Tuesday, September 6, 2011

#318_Cake-in-a-Mug

Microwaved Cake topped with a dollop of frosting

This is what I call an emergency cake as you can make this in just a few minutes...all you need are the ingredients below, a mug, measuring spoons, a spoon for stirring and a microwave. So when you get up in the middle of the night and have a craving for a warm chocolate cake, just stir all the ingredients in a mug and microwave it for 1-1/2 to 2-1/2 minutes and voila!! a cake like magic!!

I got the recipe from this site: http://www.instructables.com/id/5-minute-Chocolate-Cake/ but I did a little modification. Here's how I did it the first time....

I combined 1/2 cup of semi-sweet chocolate chips morsels in 3 tablespoons of milk. Scalded in the microwave just to melt the chocolate pieces, about 45 seconds.


I wanted to make a Rocky Road cake, so I threw in some mallows and nuts (those are pistachio nuts) then I used a little bowl to mix everything together. (Mix everything right in the mug if you want).


Poured the mixture in the mug. I don't know how many ounces this mug is but it holds 2 cups of liquid.

After microwaving it for 1-1/2 minutes, look what a big mess it made!!


Cake is done, but sure is messy and so unappetizing.
Clean up takes more time than it is to make the cake,
so you can go back to bed and do the clean up in the morning.



As you can see on this picture, the cake turned out nice and moist....
not bad for a microwaved cake, huh?


Here's what I did the second time....

I used the same ingredients, but this time I used a bigger mug which holds about 2-3/4 cup liquid, so that the mixture will have more room to rise while in the microwave and there's no problem of overflowing. I also sprayed the mug with cooking spray before pouring in the mixture. (I think you can use 2 regular size mugs)


I still like my cake baked the conventional way,
but for "emergency" this isn't bad at all.


Here's my modified version:

3 Tb milk
1/2 cup semi sweet chocolate chips morsels
(less chips if you don't want a very chocolaty cake)
1 small size egg, whisked
3 Tb canola oil
4 Tb all-purpose flour
1/4 tsp. baking powder
4 Tb sugar
1/2 cup mini marshmallows (optional)
Nuts (optional)

Melt chocolate chips with the milk in the microwave for about 45 seconds, then mix in the rest of the ingredients in a bowl. Spray a mug with a cooking spray then pour in the mixture. Microwave on high for 1 minute to 2 minutes depending on the wattage of your microwave.
Notes from MaMely:
1) if baked in the microwave longer than 2 minutes, the cake will be somewhat dry.
2) you can also use Hershey's chocolate bar, (chopped), instead of chocolate chips morsels
3) for an added flavor, add about 3 TB of peanut butter.

No comments:

Post a Comment