Thursday, September 29, 2011

#322_ Apple Cake II

I already posted a recipe for an Apple Cake that is so good, click here, but I have
another one that I have always wanted to test
to see if it is as good because the picture of the cake that accompanied the recipe looks so temptingly good. The recipe is from Red Book magazine that I clipped a couple of years ago. So when a friend shared with me some of her fresh apples from her tree a week ago, I knew what I was going to do with them....try that recipe.

Here's the recipe that I adapted from Red Book magazine. I don't know why, but I ended up slightly tweaking the recipe (indicated by red asterisk).
1 cup walnuts, roasted and chopped*
1/4 cup brown sugar*
2 tsp. ground cinnamon
dash ground cloves*
2 Tb flour
5 large baking apples, peeled, cored and sliced*
3 cups less 2 Tb, all purpose flour*
1 Tb baking powder
1 tsp. salt
1-3/4 cups white sugar*
1/2 cup canola oil
1 stick unsalted butter, melted
4 large eggs
1/2 cup golden raisins*
1/4 cup orange juice
2 tsp. vanilla extract
Butterscotch Caramel topping*

Baking Direction:
1) heat oven to 350 degrees. Spray a 10-inch removable bottom tube pan with cooking spray. Sprinkle nuts evenly on bottom of pan.
2) In a bowl, mix 2 TB flour, brown sugar, cinnamon and cloves. Add apples and toss to combine.
3) In another bowl, mix all purpose flour, baking powder and salt. Set aside.
4) In large bowl, cream together white sugar, oil and butter. Beat in the eggs one at a time. Stir in the orange juice, vanilla then the flour mixture. Beat until the batter is smooth. Fold in the raisins.
5) Pour half of the batter into prepared pan. Arrange half of the apple mixture on top of batter. Spoon remaining batter over the apples and top with the remaining apples.
6) Bake 1 hour and 20 minutes or until a tooth pick inserted in center of the cake comes out clean. Let cake cool in the pan on a wire rack for 3 minutes. Run a knife around the sides of cake and turn the cake out onto a wire rack. Invert cake onto another rack to cool.
7) Drizzle caramel sauce on the entire cake or on each slice.


Slice apples thinly or into small chunks


The batter should be like that of a banana bread


Sprinkle nuts evenly in the tube pan


Let cake cool on a wire rack for about 30 minutes before slicing.


This is the bottom of the cake



The finished product is very similar to the other recipe from Cooking Light magazine.
The main difference is the cream cheese and the method of preparation.

Hope you give this recipe or the other one a try...they are both good!!

*************************
Update 10-11-11
The original recipe link:

A friend on facebook requested that I post the link for the original recipe. What I have is the recipe I clipped from the Red Book magazine, but I googled it anyway to see if they have it on their site. So here's the recipe found on their website, click here. It is exactly the same recipe as it appeared in their magazine.

******************************

Addendum 10-11-11

I made this Apple Cake today in a 9"x13" but replaced the orange juice with 1/2 cup of plain yogurt because I ran out of orange juice, then I mixed everything together like the procedure in making banana bread, combining wet and dry ingredients together. It only took 45 minutes to bake it. It is very easy to prepare and it turned out real good, in fact it is better than the original recipe and I think this is my favorite. Next time I will make some muffins with this recipe.


No comments:

Post a Comment