Monday, October 24, 2011

#327_Butterscotch Caramel Apple Cobbler

Here's an Apple Cobbler that has become our family's favorite dessert.
Everybody loves it, even the fussiest eaters.

I had modified a recipe that I got from a son-in-law, Carl's dutch oven recipe. His original recipe calls for 2 cans of apple pie filling. In this recipe, I used fresh apple pie filling instead because I have plenty of fresh apples that I want to use up. I also reduced the amount of butter and brown sugar so this is a little less sweeter than the original recipe.

Our son-in-law, Brian wanted this for his birthday
instead of a regular birthday cake.

And yes, he got his wish...a huge serving of it!


Ingredients:
4 lbs. apples, (about 10 medium) peeled, cored and sliced thin or cubed
1 Tb ground cinnamon
3/4 cup brown sugar

1 tsp ground nutmeg

1/4 cup flour


1 cup chopped pecans
1/2 stick butter

1/2 cup brown sugar


1 jar butterscotch or caramel topping

1 box white cake mix

1/2 stick butter melted

1 can sprite


Apple Filling:
Combine brown sugar, flour, cinnamon and nutmeg then toss in the apple slices to coat. Set aside.

Praline: In a saucepan melt sugar and butter over medium heat; stir in the chopped pecans, then spread mixture into a buttered 10"x15"x 2" baking dish.

Layer the following:
Spread apple filling, including its juice, on top of the praline (nuts, sugar and butter)

Spread butterscotch topping on the apple pie filling.
Spread the dry cake mix evenly on the caramel topping and drizzle with melted butter.
Pour a can of sprite over top of cake mix.
Bake in a 350 degrees pre-heated oven for 1 hour.
Serve warm with vanilla ice cream.


This is really good served warm with Vanilla Ice Cream.

6 comments:

  1. tamang-tama ito, MaMely. I was recently trying to look for an apple cobbler recipe(after I posted about apple dumpling and about peach cobbler). Here you are to my rescue. I will try this with my canned apple pie fillings. Maybe I can bring to our Thanksgiving celebration at my MIL's. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oo nga Manang, tamang tama dun sa bottled pie filling mo. Freshly picked apples for the pie filling really makes the difference. BTW, if you can find the "Mrs. Richarson's" butterscotch caramel, thats the best brand because it is thicker than the other brands. Thank you, Manang and hope you have a woderful Thanksgiving Day.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your picture and recipe are being shared at: https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=487558494626755&set=a.422796857769586.88209.422777977771474&type=1&theater with only *pinoyamericanrecipes* as the source credit. NOTHING to identify that you've given permission or even a link to your site:(

    ReplyDelete
  4. Karen, thank you for pointing it out to me...I know, people just copy and paste anything they want without asking permission. It would be a nice gesture for them to just ask, it won't cost them anything anyway.
    Thank you, again Karen. Take care!!

    ReplyDelete