Tuesday, October 11, 2011

#323_How to Freeze Corn

I like to freeze corn when they are in season and only when they are cheap, so that I will have them handy to make "Ginataang Mais", even in the Winter and Spring time. It's a very tedious process specially if you're doing a bushel of them, but I only freeze just enough for making Ginataang Mais which only calls for 3-4 ears of corn per recipe. (click here for the recipe)

I learned this process from an acquaintance, Mrs. Scharffer, one day while she was freezing corn from their own harvest.


Here's how to freeze corn:

First off, shuck the husks and take the silks off the corn.

In a huge pot, bring water to a rolling boil, then carefully drop the halved corn on the cob. (you'll find out later why I cut them in half). Bring the water back to a boil then begin timing for 4 minutes.



After 4 minutes, take the corn on the cob from the boiling water and let them cool in ice cold water for about 10 minutes. Put them in a colander to drip.


The reason why I cut the corn in half so I can have them stand on the flat end and stay steady on the board and not wobbly when cutting them.


Place the corn kernels in plastic bags, label and freeze.

No comments:

Post a Comment