Sunday, September 21, 2008

#5_ Beef Stew




I fixed some beef stew for my hubby for Sunday dinner. I fixed enough so if someone drops by we can have enough for two. I had some kare-kare which I cooked yesterday for a birthday luncheon. I saved some for me before I took it to the party. I will post the recipe of the kare-kare another time.

This beef stew takes more than 2 hours to cook on top of he stove, but with the slow cooker, you can put everything in the pot and do something else... like go see 2 movies while the stew is cooking.

Ingredients:
2 lbs. beef for stewing, or beef chuck,cut in cubes
1/4 cup flour
1 Tb. Season All ( seasoned salt)
canola oil
5 cups water
10 pickling onions
2 cloves galic, smashed
1 Tb sugar
1 Tb worcestershire sauce
1 tsp paprika
2 bay leaves
Dash of Allspice
Salt and pepper to taste
3 carrots, silced diagonally
5 medium potatoes, peeled and cubed

Slow cooker method:
1. Mix the flour and the Season All. Dredge the cubed beef with the mixture or put the meat and the flour in a paper sack and shake it
2. Heat some oil in a non-stick skillet and brown the meat, few at a time, on all sides. Drain them on paper towel.
3. Put the browned meat in the crock pot along with the rest of the ingredients.
4. Put the lid on and set the temperature on LOW. This will take about 6 hours

Stove top method:
1. Follow procedures 1 and 2
2. Put the browned meats in a large skillet and add water, onions, garlic, sugar, salt and pepper,worcestershire sauce and allspice
3. Put the lid on and simmer for about 2 hours, stirring occasionally to prevent sticking. When meat is tender, add the vegetables and continue to simmer for another 30 minutes or until the potatoes are tender.
4. Discard the bay leaves before serving
ENJOY!!

No comments:

Post a Comment