Thursday, September 25, 2008

#8_Tomatoes, tomatoes, tomatoes

I planted a couple of tomato plants this year but they didn't do very well. Anyway, friends and neighbors have been bringing me some so I ended up having plenty.
What would you do if you have surplus of tomatoes aside from making salsa? Well, I usually prep them and put them in plastic containers and freeze them, so I have some ready when recipes call for tomatoes like afritada, escabeche, menudo, sarciado, spaghetti sauce, etc. All I need to do is thaw out one container in the microwave. This is also a big time-saver as it cuts down my prepping and sauteing time by half. Life in the fast lane, right?

For 5 lbs. ripe tomatoes, you'll need:
1 head garlic, minced
2 large onions, chopped finely
Canola Oil

1. Cut up and chop the tomatoes
2. In a large skillet, heat some oil
3. Lightly brown the garlic
4. Add the onions and continue to saute until they're translucent
5. Stir in the chopped tomatoes and continue to saute. Put lid on and let simmer, stirring occasionally, for about 20 minutes until the the liquid has reduced to almost dry
6. Let cool
7. Store cooked tomatoes in containers then freeze.

3 comments:

  1. hello po... napaka-okay po to link you in my site. regarding your tomatoes... the one you placed in the container and freeze in the fridge... for how long will it last there? is it okay to stay frozen even for a month? tnx po.
    :))

    ReplyDelete
  2. helo po... mamely, i already linked you.
    ingats... :))

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello Ing, maraming salamat! the sauteed tomatoes keep really well in the freezer, even several months. I do the same thing with fresh peppers...yellow or the red ones because they are sooo expensive in the winter time. these summer they were on sale for .89 a piece. so I just sliced them up and put them in sandwich plastic bags. I did the same with my ginisang upo. I will be eating upo in the winter! sarap!
    Thank you for linking my site with yours.

    ReplyDelete