Tuesday, February 10, 2009

#77_Puto Kutchinta or Cutchinta

Puto Cutchinta Topped with Grated Coconut

Another favorite type of
RICE CAKE in the Philippines

Had I known that it is super easy to do, I would have made some of these a long time ago. Truthfully though, not only that I was intimidated to make them but also I have an aversion to using lye solution which is an ingredient that makes the rice cake chewy (makunatty).
But after I overcame these two weird feelings I had which is intimidation (of the process) and aversion (lye water solution), I tried this recipe that a reader of marketmanila, shared.
Then I took some to my friends to taste test. Ohh, they loved them. They said it 's like the kind you buy in Pinas.

I made a little tweak from the original recipe by adding rice flour and using atchuete water instead of atchuete powder:

1-1/2 cups all purpose flour
1/2 cup rice flour
1 1/2 cups brown sugar
pinch of salt
2 cups atsuete water
1/2 tsp. lye water

Procedure
:
First of all, I didn't have atchuete powder or anatto powder. So I boiled some atsuete seeds in the 2 cups water. I strained the liquid through a very fine sieve then I let it cooled. This is my atsuete water.

1) In a bowl, combine together the all purpose flour, rice flour, brown sugar and salt. Blend well
using a wire whisk.

2) Add the atsuete water and stir until smooth. Strain if necessary to remove lumps.

3) Stir in the lye water. Stir well.


4) Fill greased puto moulds with the mixture and steam for 15 minutes. Unmold to platter and serve with grated coconuts on top.


Benjamin, one of our GKids, was going to taste test it, but chickened out!!

7 comments:

  1. mamely...
    i'd like to try this one but i don't know what lye is and how it looks like. i'm having difficulty looking for that in any grocery store here in uae.
    tnx.
    ingat... :p

    ReplyDelete
  2. ing, lye solution is what makes the cuchinta makunat(chewey).They're in bottles and look like clear, plain water. In asian markets, I find them with the patis and soy sauce aisles. I'll have to experiment making some without the lye.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Where did you get your puto molds?

    I have silicone muffin cups but they are hard to clean up! Yung silicone cups naman for molten lava cake are so big!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Manang, a friend who lives in SF brought them with her when she showed me and group of friends how to make the puto 2 years ago and she was kind enough to leave with me the moulds as she was on her way back to the Pinas at the time, she said she can buy new ones for herself.

    ReplyDelete
  5. where can i buy those plastic puto molds?
    i havent been able to find them.
    pls reply
    cubasian63@comcast.net
    my name is Ziggy
    Thanks in advance!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ziggy, a friend who brought them back from Pinas gave them to me. Maybe have some of our kababayans can bring back some for you. I wish I have some more spare to send you...Sorry.

    ReplyDelete
  7. try the kutchinta from Pangasinan... uber yummy, no need for grated coconut :D their puto is the best too.

    ReplyDelete