Sunday, July 26, 2009

#161_Irresistible Mango Custard Pizza Pie

Doesn't this look like pizza?
At first glance, it looks like pineapple pizza.
I didn't realize it until I was uploading these photos.

The crust is the Puff Pastry that I was going to use for the
Mango Custard Filling for the recipe #160,
after I had that disaster trying to make Brazo de Mercedez.

Here's how I did it:

After thawing the Puff Pastry,
I rolled it out on a floured surface to form a circle.
It didn't need to be a perfect circle.


I don't have any experience working with Puff Pastry
other than using it to make pot pies.
So, this is how I formed the edges.
It might not be a professional way, but it worked:
I transferred the dough onto a greased baking pan
and folded over the edges making twisted pleats.

Brushed the dough with egg wash and with tines of a fork,
I then pricked the bottom of the dough.


I baked the dough in a pre-heated 350 degrees oven
for about 20-25 minutes.

When the center of dough overly puffed up while baking,
I gave it more pricks.



I filled the baked crust with the
Mango Custard Cream Filling.
(recipe here)

Now you can choose whether you want to use
the Puff Pastry or the Fillo Dough.
The choice is yours,
they are both fantastic!!


Update: 8-6-09

By all means use this variety of mangoes. The peels are all yellow, no specks of green on them. Here in North America they are called Manila mangoes, click here. You can find them at most Oriental stores and at Costco.

No comments:

Post a Comment