Wednesday, October 28, 2009

#192_Pumpkin Dinner Rolls

Classic Pumpkin Dinner Rolls
Baked in a 9x13 baking pan

This was inspired by a bread (pan de sal) they make in the Philippines where they incorporate squash in the ingredients. So I thought I'd make some using pumpkin since pumpkins here are pretty inexpensive and are always available. In the Fall season, the fresh ones are found every where even in backyards, while canned pumpkins are always available in grocery stores.
Of course, if I were in the Philippines, I would use squash or kalabasa instead.


Look at the texture! a good sign of soft and fluffy roll.

I only used 1/2 cup of pumpkin puree to the recipe and it made the texture of the rolls so incredibly soft and the color is fabulous, but I was a bit disappointed because the taste of pumpkin is not there. Maybe I should add more pumpkin puree next time I make it.


Arrange dough close together to get a classic roll look.
You can make 48 rolls with this recipe

The recipe is pretty much like the Basic Sweet Dough,
recipe #178, with a few modifications.

Here's the recipe:

1-3/4 cups milk, warm
1/2 cup pureed pumpkin ( I used canned)
1 stick butter, softened
1/2 cup white sugar
6 cups bread flour
1 tbsp. SAF instant yeast
1 tsp. dough enhancer
1 tsp. vital wheat gluten
1 tsp salt
2 eggs, slightly beaten

Put all the ingredients in the bread machine pan starting with the milk and set the the machine on "dough" cycle. Let the bread machine do the mixing and kneading. When cycle is finished, let the dough rise in the bread machine pan until doubled in size. Take the dough out onto a floured surface and cut it in half, then cut each half into 24 pieces. Form each piece into balls and arrange them in 2- 9x13 baking pans lined with parchment papers. Let them rise until doubled in size. Brush top of dough with egg wash then bake in a pre-heated 350 degrees oven for 18 to 20 minutes.

Update:
If you want to use more pumpkin in the recipe, you need to adjust either the liquid or the flour...less liquid or more flour.
Example:
If using 1-cup Pumpkin Puree, decrease amount of milk to 1-1/2 cups, same amount of flour.

A tip from MaMely:
For Speed Rising...this is just for the second rising or proofing.
Turn the oven on for just 1 minute or until the temperature reaches 8o degrees and then turn it
off. (Make sure the temperature is not hotter than 80 degrees). Place the baking pan (with the formed dough) in the oven below the middle rack then shut the oven door. Let the dough rise until they are soft and springy to the touch, about 20-30 minutes.
Take the pan out. Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees. Bake rolls for 18 to 20 minutes.

Enjoy!

Update: 11-18-11
Here's the link on How to make your own Dough Enhancer...
http://www.ehow.com/how_7480650_make-homemade-dough-enhancers.html

3 comments:

  1. MaMely, What is dough enhancer?

    Thanks,

    Virgie Rodriguez

    ReplyDelete
  2. Virgie,
    I use a commercial Dough Enhancer and comes in different brands. I'll try to take a picture of the one I have and post it later. Anyway, Dough enhancer acts like a conditioner in bread doughs. It is not really a necessary component in bread making, just like we can just use shampoo in our hair, but when we use hair conditioner, it makes our hair look and feel better. Dough Enhancer gives a finer texture to the bread and improves the taste and crusts.
    When my hubby bought me my very first bread machine, it came with it a canister of Vital Wheat Gluten and a canister of Dough Enhancer and told me they were giving demos on bread making the following week at the store where he bought the machine from. I missed the demo but I asked the people at the store to explain to me what those two ingredients were and they did. So I've been using these 2 ingredients ever since I made my first loaf of bread...that was I think in 1986 or '87.
    Here's a link on how to make home made Dough Enhancer:
    http://www.ehow.com/how_7480650_make-homemade-dough-enhancers.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks. I had a bread maker bur didn't use it much s I gave it away. I guess I can do this without a bread maker. I bought wheat gluten with the intention of trying one of your recipes but forgot which recipe I wanted to try. I'll take a look at the link for dough enhancer. Happy Thanksgiving! Virgie

    ReplyDelete