Tuesday, August 4, 2009

#165_Sushi Style Biko with Mango Custard Cream Filling

Mangoes + Brazo de Mercedes + Biko + Sushi=
A fantastic dessert

Not quite Heinz 57, but this is one "mixed-up" dessert!

For those not familiar with Brazo de Mercedes, it is a very popular dessert in the Philippines
made with baked meringue filled with custard cream, then rolled up like pumpkin roll cake or jelly roll. Here's some of the pictures, click here.

Biko is another favorite dessert in the Philippines made of glutinous rice, cooked in coconut cream and sugar. Click here.
To make this dessert, you'll need:

1 recipe for Biko without any topping
1 recipe for Custard Cream Filling
1 ripe mango, sliced l
engthwise

The beauty of this dessert is that the main ingredients, the biko and cream filling, can be made ahead of time then refrigerated.
Before serving, just heat them in the microwave. You can even assemble it in front of our guests. It is that easy to make.

I modified the method for making Biko just for this recipe as I'm using it to roll up the mango filling, and it is not going back to the oven.

Here's how I did it:


This is just a half of the recipe
Please refer to recipe #7, click here, how to make Biko.

After cooking the glutinous rice in the rice cooker, dissolve 1 cup brown sugar in a 1/2 a can of coconut
milk, in a pan over medium heat. Bring it up to a boil. Stir in the cooked rice and continue to cook until it dries up and rice is fully cooked.

Lay a piece of plastic wrap on a work surface. On the plastic wrap spread some of the cooked rice into rectangle and spread some of the Custard Cream Filling. Arrange some sliced mangoes on the cream.


Roll up the filled rice just like rolling a jelly roll cake


Cut the rolled up Biko into about 2-inch thickness


Serve them on a plate with the cut sides up.
Put some more cream filling and cubes of mangoes on top.
Thin down the cream filling with milk
so you can drizzle it easily on top.


This is the best kind of mangoes to use for this dessert.
ENJOY!!

NOTE from MaMely:
For the custard cream filling, I used 1 whole can of coconut cream instead of 1/2 cup milk and 1/2 cup coconut cream.

16 comments:

  1. hi there, kumusta po :)

    I love biko, never thought of making it this way but then again I never tried making sushi before

    ReplyDelete
  2. Olive, thanx for your visit, first of all. This might be a sushi style biko but it doesn't really involve the tedious sushi-making steps.
    Just simply roll it up like you would jelly roll. Hope you give it a try. It is really easy to make and even tastier than just regular biko.
    Take care!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is so creative of you!
    How I wish I can buy such kind of mangoes here...the only ones available are the red mangoes (with reddish green color even when ripe). pwede na ring pagtyagaan but it tastes like ripened Indian mangoes natin.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanx Manang.Yes, this kind of mangoes are scarce here, but if you can find them they are better than the other kind.It makes a difference in the flavor.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Just checking to see what's up in your neck of the woods. I love this creation of yours!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you Ebie and take care!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow this is my first time to see biko with mango inside that looks so yummy. Is that kind of mango we can find here in our supermarket? Thanks for sharing this to us.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Manang Kim, the kind of mangoes we usually find in regular supermarkets are the green/red variety and we call them Indian Mangoes in Philippines. I don't seem to have a very good luck with those kind. The last picture (bottom one) is the kind I prefer to use as they are sweeter and close to the ones we have in Philippines as far as flavor is concerned. You can find them at Costco and Asian stores. In California, they are sold at Seafood City. A neighbor of mine who does the cargo boxes and travels to Ca. very often, brings me back a box of this mangoes each time. It is very cheap in Ca....only $7.99/box of 15-16 pieces.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Manang Kim, I got an e-mail from my sister saying that there are canned mangoes available in Asian stores and also said that if you can find Thai Mangoes, they are sweeter than Phil. mangoes..well, that's hard for me to believe.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi MaMely, wow your lucky you have a friend who travel often to CA, I remember now I bought that kind of mangoes at the filipino store here and I don't think it has 15-16pieces inside that is really cheap since I remember I paid $13 for one box I don't know how many is inside. And I also remember it now Costco or Sams have this kind of mango. Naku po sa atin kahit saang kalye merong manga lol!
    For now I am looking here at your site about zucchini and summer squash recipe lam mo na summer na summer ang daming fresh produce time to eat healthy muna hehe.
    Thanks for sharing your recipe here I do appreciate it, God bless!

    ReplyDelete
  11. O yah, $13.00 to 14.00 per box is the running price outside California. mahal din dito sa amin, they cost $1.29 a piece at Asian stores. I know sa Pinas masarap and mangoes dun but these ones here are close to the kind we have in Pinas.
    I don't have zucchini recipes posted. I have zucchini bread recipe which is my favorite to make with the zucchinis I harvest but everybody makes zucchini bread so I won't be posting mine.
    I only have one squash in my garden this year and will be making some dinengdeng. My vegetable garden is not doing well this year...only the tomatoes. But even them tomatoes are drying up.
    Take care, Kim!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hello MaMely :)

    I made a post on my blog about making biko and I put a link of this in it.

    I still haven't try making biko into a sushi or tried to make any sushi at all..but I will give it a try, I've already added it on my ever growing list of must-try recipes

    Have a good day! :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh, thank you Olive. I went by and took a look at your blog. You have a nice one, girl! I like your biko, it looks so authentic with latik and banana leaves. I like everything about your blog and your recipes. You must be a very good cook! Keep on cooking1
    Take care!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hello MaMely,

    Thank you for sharing this recipe. I tried it at first using the sushi style. I rolled and then cut but did not look like sushi. However the taste was very good. Next time I made it, I modified the presentation. Same recipe but i used layered presentation. Half of the biko on the bottom, then the custard, then sliced mangoes and the remaining biko on top in a pyrex dish. All my friends was impressed with the manggo biko with a twist. They were asking for the recipe, so I pointed them here. Not bad for a new cook!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hello, newcook. Thank you for coming by. That is an excellent idea to do layers. I am going to try that next time. I'm glad the recipe turned out good for you...not really bad for "newcook"!

    ReplyDelete