Sunday, August 30, 2009

#172_Peach Jam

Every year a good friend of mine, Erlinda, brings
me nice and sweet peaches from her peach trees.
Just like making lemonade when somebody gives you lemons,
I make peach jam when she gives me peaches!
Thank you, Erlinda! You're as nice and sweet as the peaches!


There are some peaches that the skins easily peel off,
but once in a while there
are some that are a little hard to peel.

If you run into some that won't easily peel off,
here's a little trick I picked up from some food gurus:

Cut an X on the stem side of the fruit then blanch them
by submerging them into boiling water for a few minutes.

Drain them in a colander


As you can see the skins come right off.


To make the jam:
Slice the peaches and discard the pits.


This is about 4 lbs. of peaches.

Put sliced peaches in a big pot.
Over medium high heat, bring it up to a boil,
then lower the heat to medium low stirring frequently.
Simmer for about 30 minutes then add:
1-1/2 cup of white sugar
1 pouch liquid pectin
juice of 1 lemon
or lime
Stir to blend all of the ingredients together.
Continue to simmer, but do not stir for about 15 minutes.
Stir then simmer for another 15 minutes.


Ladle hot jam into hot sterilized canning jars
then process in water bath.

Canning is quite a process and requires much time.
This is why I prefer freezing my jams.
However, when I do some canning I refer to a method
that I printed off Recipezaar website about 2 years ago
(before I was into blogging).
It is a recipe of a Tomato Salsa, but the author
has a step-by step process for canning.
Go to Recipezaar and type in 39006 on the search bar.


Good on buttered toasts

ENJOY!!

*****************************************

2 comments:

  1. I wait for peach jams from my SIL...kaya lang, paisa-isang jars lang natatanggap ko. Love them on toast!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had also combined pineapple, peaches and mangoes and it turned out really good. I just picked somemore peaches from my friend's peach tree... gosh, so fresh!

    ReplyDelete