Monday, April 4, 2011

#285_Fruit Salad with Buko

Fruit Salad with Buko
(Buko is young coconut)

My friend, Lisa made this fruit salad for her dinner party
last weekend and
she sent with me a big bowl of it
so now I have pictures to post here.
I didn't bother to ask her how she made it because
I was pretty sure she made it the same way I do.

It's really good! Thank you, Lisa!!


This is an all-time Filipino favorite dessert and is prepared by combining different kinds of canned and bottled fruits. Some people add some cheese to it, which I don't care for at all.

Here's my favorite fruit combination:
2 cans (15.25 oz. ea.) Fruit Cocktail, well drained
1 bottle Nata de Coco, well drained*
I can Buko, well drained (young coconut)**
Fresh green grapes
Fresh peaches, cubed
(ripe Manila mangoes instead of peaches would be great if available)

For the Fruit Dressing:
Mix 1 can of condensed milk and 1 can of Nestle Cream
then lightly stir in with the fruit.
Chill for several hours before serving.

Here's my husband's favorite Fruit Medley:
Mix and match:

Fresh peaches
Fresh strawberries
Fresh red and green grapes
Fresh raspberries
Fresh cantaloupe
Fresh Honeydew
Fresh bananas
or mix and match any fresh fruits available or in season.
Topped with freshly-whipped cream (heavy cream + sugar)

Another option for Fruit Dressing for fresh fruits:
2 cups fresh orange juice + 2 Tbsps. cornstarch.
Cook until thick enough to pour over fruits.

Notes from MaMely:

*Nata de Coco are available in red, green colors and natural.
**
Of course if you're in the Philippines or a place where Buko or young coconuts are available, you don't need to use the canned ones.

4 comments:

  1. funny, i make mine totally different from yours and they;ve always ask for it everytime we have a pot luck... I make my dressing with condensed milk and cream cheese and sour cream... i might have to give yours a try!! Thanks! =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mely, thanks for reminding us overseas Pinoys how to make this yummy dessert. I am curious about the canned buko. Did you get it in the Asian supermarket? What is the brand? Made in Thailand??? Did it taste like the real fresh buko? So many questions, but I have to ask the expert!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kat, thank you for your visit. Sour cream in fruit salad? that's interesting...will have to try your version too! they said the more calorie the food is, the better!haha!

    ReplyDelete
  4. mumsie, thanks for coming by! the brand is AROY-D, "young coconut meat". Comes in plain and in syrup, sold in Asian stores. Pretty much taste like our fresh buko, but make sure to get the plain ones (not in syrup). I don't know where they come from, I assume from Thailand. Okay lang, I don't mind you asking questions...in fact, I'm glad you did!!Take care!!

    ReplyDelete