Saturday, April 30, 2011

#293_How to Steam Sticky Rice

No rice steamer? No problem!!
If you don't have one of those conical-shaped woven basket rice steamers that sits in a metal urn-like vessel that folks in Vietnam and Thailand use, just look around your house and you might find something that would do the job as good as the store-bought gadget. Those set of steamers aren't really that expensive, but they are too bulky when storage is an issue. I for one don't have enough space to store another kitchen gadget in my little house. On the other hand if I would use it regularly, then I would think twice.
The improvised steamer pictured above is composed of my much-treasured kawali (Philippine wok) and a hole-y pizza pan which to my amazement, fits so perfectly on top of the kawali (wok). They look like custom-made set.


Rice must be soaked for at least 4 hours or overnight

To steam rice, pour enough water in the wok about 4 inches below the pizza pan and bring the water to a boil.

Place a piece of flour sack or cheese cloth on top of the pizza pan, then spread the soaked rice on the cloth. I bet that if you would use something like a sieve or some footed colander that have smaller holes, you won't need to use a cloth....just a thought.

Fold in all the sides of the cloth towards the center and put lid on the wok.

I checked on the rice after 25 minutes of steaming and found the grains still hard and very dry. So I sprinkled some water on the rice and let it steam for another 10 minutes. I don't know if I were supposed to do that.

My first steamed Jasmine rice

My first steamed sticky rice


The improvised gadget works!

No comments:

Post a Comment