Monday, April 4, 2011

#286_Kung Pao Sauce for Stir Fries


Kung Pao Sauce can be made ahead of time then refrigerated until needed. I like to double the recipe so I always have the sauce ready anytime I want to make stir fries. You can find plenty of different versions for this sauce on the web, there's the authentic Chinese version and Westernized version, but here's my sister's version which I find perfect for my taste. I don't know exactly where this recipe falls under, whether Chinese or Western version, but its the way I like it.

1/4 cup Rice Vinegar
1/4 cup regular soy sauce
1/4 cup light soy sauce
1/2 cup Sweet Chili sauce*
1 Tb. peanut oil or sesame oil
1/8 tsp Chili paste**
Dash of Five Spice Powder
Ground pepper
3 Tbs. cornstarch
dissolved in 1-1/2 cups water

Mix all ingredients in a saucepan.
Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly until thickened,
but pourable, meaning not so thick.

That's it!!
Now you have the Kung Pao Sauce! You can use it on stir fry right away or....

Store sauce in jars or plastic containers and refrigerate for later use.

Recipe for Beef and Brocolli Stirfry with Kung Pao Sauce
coming up....also Kung Pao Chicken.
Notes from MaMely:
*
Sweet Chili Sauce is the lumpia or egg roll dipping sauce. My favorite brand is "Pantai".
**
Chili Paste is the bottle pictured on the left. The brand name (I think) is Sambal Oelek. It is very concentrated, so if you're like me, start with just a little bit, about 1/8 of a teaspoon then add some more if you want a spicier sauce.

No comments:

Post a Comment