Sunday, March 1, 2009

#86_Cakeballs and LolliCakes

LolliCakes/ Cake Pops
Check out some new pictures here.


Hand-dipped Chocolate Cakeballs.....everybody loves them!!

I copied this recipe from the Houston Chronicles back in December. I was going to make them for the Christmas cookie exchange, but since I've never made them before and I wasn't sure of what the outcome would be, I didn't want to waste my time and effort so I just shoved the recipe in a shoe box where I put all the recipes I clip. Then the other day I found the recipe and decided to make it. Since we were having a get-together today, I thought it would be a good time to try the recipe.

It is an easy dessert to make except, for the dipping part. I found it a little challenging. Nevertheless, I will be making more of them now specially since everybody at the dinner liked them. Even the persnickety eaters loved them. Everybody gave their approval by thumbs up or a nod or a wide grin. One of our daughters, who is on a Weight Watcher's diet couldn't resist "the temptation". She even had a couple of pieces of the cakeballs. She said she wants these cakeballs for Easter and for her birthday cake. Aha!! I already envision 34 cakeballs with a birthday candle on each one!
And...for me, I will be making these bite-size treats for Christmas this year for sure.


LolliCake
White chocolate-covered Cakeballs with candy sprinkles.
Insert a lollipop stick into each cakeball, and you'll have LolliCakes!!
You can buy lollipop sticks from the craft stores.


1) Start by baking a cake of your choice following the directions on the box. In this case I used chocolate fudge cake mix. Set it aside to cool a little bit, not completely cooled.

2) After it cools a bit, place it in a big bowl and finely crumble it using 2 forks.

3) Stir in a can of cream cheese frosting (store-bought kind) or less for not-so-moist cakeballs. This serves as a binding agent. Mix really well until there is no more frosting visible.


4) Form the mixture into balls, and arrange them in a cookie sheet.

5) Freeze these balls for at least 2 hours before dipping them in melted chocolate.


Depending on the size of your cakeballs, this recipe yields between 36 to 40 pieces.


The recipe calls for Almond Bark, but I found these kinds of melting chocolate at the craft store worked really great. I guess you can use any kind of dipping chocolate or melting chocolate.

I like these kinds of dipping chocolate chips better because they come in several colors and flavors such as vanilla, white, dark and light chocolates, strawberry, purple, orange, and many more. Then you can make these cakeballs for different ocassions.

6) Melting the chocolate chips:
Since I've never worked with dipping chocolates before, I just followed the directions on the back of the package on how to melt them. There are two ways to melt these chocolates as suggested on the package: either in the microwave or a double boiler. I chose the double boiler method. Put a glass bowl over a pot of steaming water and constantly stir the chocolate chips until they are melted and smooth.


7) Dip each cakeball in the melted chocolate.

I heard that chocolate dippers (I mean the people) have their own tricks of dipping chocolate. Since I dipped 36 of them, I was able to kind of figure out what was the best way for me to do it. I used lollipop sticks to dip them in the melted chocolate and let the excess chocolate drip off. Then I placed them on waxed paper. I'm sure you can also use tooth picks or bamboo skewers to dip them.


If you want to use some candy sprinkles on the Cakeballs,
do it before the chocolate dries,
and they dry quickly.


NOTES:
When the melted chocolate starts to harden, place the bowl back over the steaming water..
or microwave works too.
If you have any question regarding this post, e-mail me at melypresto@gmail.com

ADDENDUM:
3-11-09
I am making 2 batches of these today for a baby shower and I discovered that using an ice cream scooper to scoop the mixture onto a parchment paper-lined baking sheet, then chilling them for a couple of hours makes it easier to form the cakes into balls. Freeze Cakeballs before dipping them in melted chocolate.

4-17-2011
I just posted new pictures of Lollicakes or Cake Pops...check out the link below:
http://pinoyamericanrecipes.blogspot.com/2011/04/288lollicakes-for-easter.html

For Cookie Balls, click on the link: http://pinoyamericanrecipes.blogspot.com/2011/07/313cookie-balls.html

Monday, July 11, 2011

My Reply to Anonymous' question on melting chocolate:

Anonymous,
I wish I can post my response on the comment box. I don't know what's wrong with blogger.com, but its not allowing me to post on there.

Re: recipe #86...if you have trouble melting the chocolate using the double boiler, try the microwave. Follow the instructions on the back of the package. Thanx!!

5 comments:

  1. How long do you chill the mixture before forming it into balls? And can I find the melting chocolates at Michaels craftstore? MaMely, I just can't wait to try so many of your recipes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. you can form the mixture into balls after chilling it for at least 2 hours.
    The first time I made the cake balls, I bought the melting chocolates at Michael's for i think $2.99 a package. The second time I got them at Joan's and were on sale for $1.95. Geez, I can't believe how many I bought. I went overboard! but, i will use them all up as i will be making plenty more. Chocolate is the favorite of many at the party.

    ReplyDelete
  3. i wasnt able to melt the chocolate i bought the same brand and used the double broiler but it never got melted completelywhat did i do wrong?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous...a while back something went wrong with blogger.com so I wasn't able to post my response on this box and so I posted it somewhere on this blog...hope you were able to read that. Am so sorry about that.
    RE: melting chocolate...I don't exactly know what went wrong, but you can try using microwave to melt the chocolate. Put few chocolate disks in a bowl and microwave for 1 minute, then stir, put it back and microwave for another minute or two until all the choclate is melted. I found this way to be easier than using double boiler. thanx alot!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. what is substitute for cream cheese frosting? butter?

    ReplyDelete