Tuesday, March 17, 2009

#95_Mango Shake


Manila Mangoes from Mexico?!

A friend of mine, Cora and her hubby, brought these mangoes back from
Sea Food City in Los Angeles.
They are called " Manila mangoes",
but they are actually grown in Mexico.
I love mangoes. To me they are celestial fruits.
I'm glad to have these from Mexico as they are the next best thing
to our very own Philippine mangoes.


We used to make mango shakes when we were back home.
We usually made the shakes with milk, pineapple gelatin, sugar, crushed ice and of course, mangoes. Man, it was so refreshingly good!!

Because I have a problem with milk, I made a different recipe today.
Here's what I came up with:
1 cup orange juice
1/2 cup apricot gelatin
1 ripe mango, peeled and pitted
4 ice cubes

Put everything in the blender starting with the orange juice then put ice cubes in last.
Process on smoothie cycle. If you don't have that cycle in your blender, just process
for about maybe 60 to 70 seconds until everything is well blended.


The result?....
It got the approval of my hubby!!




3 comments:

  1. good timing to read your blog. magpuputi kami ng mangga bukas! didnt know you have to put gelatin, will surely try your recipe. salamat!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't remember exactly where I got the original recipe from but I clipped it from a Philippines mag or newspaper way back in 1975. It was the best mango milk shake ever. So, if you can find pineapple gelatin over there and use some evap milk, it will be the original recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  3. BTW the original mango shake recipe calls for some white sugar. and don't forget to prepare the gelatin according to the package directions.

    ReplyDelete