Friday, May 1, 2009

#118_Red Beans Ensaymada

Bean Paste-Filled Ensaymada Bun

There were two blogs that inspired me to make this
version of ensaymada:
Firs, I saw burnt lumpia's post on ensaymada, click here,
where he filled the dough with cheese.
Well, I don't like cheese that much, that's why I don't put cheese
on my ensaymada, but the idea is good and is new to me
as I never had cheese-filled ensaymada before.
Second, I saw cafenilson's post (here) on bean paste buns....
I love the bean paste in sesame balls (bochi),
and her bean paste buns look so delicious that I want to try to them.
Then a thought came, why not combine the two ideas.

Red Bean Paste

I bought this pouch of bean paste at a Korean store.
They are pre-made red bean fillings for bochi or sesame balls,
just snip off one corner of the pouch and ready to go.


I used the dough for the Reduced Eggs Ensaymada recipe#114,
but you can also use richer Ensaymada recipe #113 as well.
They are both soft as long as you follow the
whole procedure of proofing and rising.

Divide dough equally into 24 pieces.
Roll each dough out into approximately
10 inches long by 3 inches wide
and fill each one with the bean paste.
If you have a mini rolling pin like the one pictured here,
it makes it easier to roll out these little doughs.

Roll the filled dough tight and pinch the seams really good
so they won't open up during the rising process.


Coil each filled dough like you do ensaymada
and follow the rest of procedure
as directed on the ensaymada recipes.

Top the baked ensaymada with softened butter,
sprinkle with sugar and grated cheese.

I find the bean paste to be too sweet,
so I prefer mine without the toppings.

NOTES:
1) A friend of mine suggested these for variations:
For fillings, use mung bean paste or ube halaya

2) If you want to make your own red bean paste, go to cafenilson for the link.

2 comments:

  1. Hi MaMely
    What a brilliant idea. It looks very yummmmmy.
    Probably this dough can be used for coconut buns(white bucayo)

    ReplyDelete
  2. hi jaram, i think conventionally, the coco buns are a little denser (like pandesal) than ensaymada. Ensaymada, whether filled or unfilled are supposed to be soft.
    On the flip side, it won't hurt to use a soft roll dough for coco buns.

    ReplyDelete