Thursday, December 4, 2008

#42_Stuffing with Italian Sausage

Let me back track and post a recipe or two from the Thanksgiving dinner before everything gets so crazy again this month. I am afraid I will never get caught up with all the recipes I intend to post from last month's event. So I better squeeze in this one recipe:


Stuffing or Dressing with Italian Sausage
before it hit the oven

I've never stuffed the turkey with the dressing, but always baked it separately from the turkey like a casserole. It probably has something to do with psychological effect rather than taste.

Home-style Stuffing Bread

Stuffing bread is one of the few items that I make days ahead of time, but there was a disastrous moment that occurred this year as I tried making the stuffing bread few days before Thanksgiving day. I was multi-tasking at the time I had the bread cubes in the oven, and didn't hear the timer go off, so I ended with burnt bread cubes. I went and bought these stuffing bread from a local grocery store, who makes homemade style stuffings, by that I mean the bread cubes are larger and do not have too much crumbs, unlike the kind you buy in boxes.

sausage is sauteed in skillet


Recipe for the stuffing:
2 packages (1 lb. each) Italian sausages
1 can black olives, sliced
1 onion, chopped
5 stalks celery, sliced
1 lb. stuffing bread
1 tsp salt
1 tsp. poultry seasoning
1- 1/4 to 1-1/2 cans chicken broth (updated)

Procedure:
Heat a skillet. (there is no need to use cooking oil). In it, saute the sausages and onions together until the sausage starts to render its fat. Cover and let it simmer on low heat, stirring occasionally, until the meat is tender. Turn off heat then add in the celery, olives and seasonings, stir well; then add the bread cubes. Pour in chicken broth (more if you prefer very moist stuffing) and lightly mix together.

Transfer the mixture to a greased baking dish (or aluminum foil pan) then cover with aluminum foil and bake in a pre-heated 350 degrees oven for about 30 minutes.

Optional: You can add coarsely chopped pecan nuts before baking.

No comments:

Post a Comment