MELT-IN-YOUR-MOUTH HONEY BALLS COOKIES
There are two kinds of HONEY BALLS cookies that I know, one kind is the fried honey balls with honey syrup drizzled on top, and the baked kind with honey mixed in the dough, pictured above.
The difference between the two is that in the Mexican wedding cakes, the nuts are ground and require no honey while in honey balls cookies, the nuts are finely chopped and with, of course, honey.
1 cup butter, room temperature
1/2 cup sifted powdered sugar
4 tbsp. honey
2 cups flour
1 cup pecan nuts or walnuts, finely chopped
1 tsp. vanilla
1/4 tsp salt
sifted powdered sugar for dusting
1) Cream together butter and powdered sugar
2) Stir in honey and vanilla
3) Add the rest of the ingredients, mixing well to blend
4) Pre-heat oven to 325 degrees
5) Shape into 1 inch balls
6) Arrange in a parchment paper-lined cookie sheet and bake for 14-16 minutes
7) While still warm, sprinkle with powdered sugar or toss them in powdered sugar to coat
This recipe makes about 48 cookies.